Competent care of a leather bag will help to maintain its attractive appearance, as well as significantly extend its service life. To properly care for a leather product, you need to know some rules and nuances.
Basic rules of bag care from genuine leather
Simple methods of leather bag care are suitable when there are no strong and caught stains on the product. It is sufficient to follow the following recommendations:
- The accessory must not be kept in polyethylene. The skin may crack due to lack of air and moisture. Ideal for storing such things will be the cases made of natural fabrics. A shoebox will also be good for this purpose.
- So that the product does not lose its original form when stored in a cabinet for a long time, it is filled with paper. It is better to place the bag in the lying position or to hang the bag in which it is located. Heavy objects should not be placed on the product. Also do not store the product in a suspended state on the handle, because it can crack quickly and stretch under the influence of the load.
- Start cleaning the product must be with the lining. The best remedy for this is alcohol.
- At least once a week the bag should be wiped with warm soapy water. This will remove dust and small stains of dirt. You can add a few drops of 10 % ammonia solution.
- It is easy to find special care products for different skin types in the stores. With their help, your favorite product can be disinfected, refreshed, and even softened the scorched material.
- To protect against moisture, the surface should be treated with a water repellent. In addition, cleaning an accessory will be much easier. Ideally, apply this composition twice with a small gap between them.
Leather bag care, depending on type
Depending on the type of material used, some adjustments must be made to the care of the product. For example, bags made of lacquer material require more care and careful supervision. Only special water-based formulations should be used for surface cleaning. The best way is to treat the surface soaked in soapy water with a cotton pad. It should be squeezed well as no water droplets should get on the product. Citric acid or glycerine will help to return the natural shine to the product.
It is necessary to cancel that the lacquer does not tolerate sharp temperature drops. It is desirable to use the product only at +25 and not below -10 C. To avoid cracking the skin several times a week should be treated with oily hand cream or special protective compounds.
To improve the general condition of the bag you can buy a special spray of appropriate shade. Milk and whipped protein as well as face cream are suitable for care of light and white accessories. It is enough to wipe the product a couple of times a week.
What to avoid when taking care of a leather bag
When caring for an accessory made of leather, you should not perform certain actions:
- It is not recommended to use wet wipes to wipe the surface, and stain removers, and acetic essence. These substances have an aggressive chemical environment, which can spoil the skin.
- Also do not splash the product with perfumes and aerosols, even if it emits an unpleasant odor. It is necessary to establish the cause and, if possible, eliminate it.
- The leather surface does not tolerate hard and rough brushes and sponges.
- Do not use creams designed for cleaning shoes. The skin may fade and quickly lose its presentable appearance.
- Acetone, gasoline, and lacquer removal liquid must not be used.
- It is not recommended to immerse the product completely in water. If it did happen, it is advisable to put the crumpled newspaper inside as soon as possible. It will absorb the water and protect the item from the deformation.
- It is not allowed to dry the product on a battery or using a hairdryer, as this leads to rapid surface aging. Drying the skin in direct sunlight leads to loss of color and makes the material more fragile.
The bags are made of genuine leather and have many advantages compared to other models. They are especially durable, reliable, wear-resistant, solid and have other qualities. If used and cared for properly, the product will serve in excellent condition for many years.